Director, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At 2U, we are all in on purpose. We are motivated by our mission – to eliminate the back row in education – and connected by our shared passion to deliver world-class digital education at scale. As the parent company of edX, the world’s leading online learning platform, 2U powers more than 4,000 online higher education offerings – from free courses to full degrees. Together with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporate partners, we are helping to unlock human potential.
What We’re Looking For:
The Director, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion will lead, support, manage and implement diversity and inclusion global strategies and programs regionally and globally. The role reports to the Vice President, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
The ideal candidate for this position will have 8 plus years of prior DEI lead experience, particularly in supporting global diversity and inclusion programs and initiatives with a focus on the South African region. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of project management and ability to drive programs that support the organization's workforce diversity, inclusiveness, and development and retention opportunities. The candidate should possess strong leadership and analytical skills and the ability to translate DEI metrics, research, and trends into strategy. In addition to an ability to build and maintain positive relationships internally and externally, they must be a team player, collaborator, with excellent written and verbal communications skills.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Support VP, DEI with development and implementation of global diversity and inclusion strategies, including analyzing demographic data, leadership development, employee engagement and retention.
- Responsible for working with leaders at multiple levels in the organization with a focus on senior leadership in creating and implementing the DEI strategy.
- Provide regional leadership and guidance for the broader HR team and our employee base in Australia, Mexico, UK, and Canada.
- Accountable for regional compliance as it relates to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Develop metrics for measuring the effectiveness of corporate diversity initiatives.
- Drive diversity programs in partnership with the D&I team and various stakeholders across the company with a focus on global DEI strategies.
- Serve as subject matter expert and liaison to HRBPs and the business to develop strategic action to attract/develop/retain diverse talent by analyzing and presenting talent demographics, monitoring data trends and developing corporate diversity initiatives.
- Benchmark and research analysis, including monitoring and reporting on diversity and inclusion topics.
- Partner with communications to regularly communicate internal and external diversity and inclusion initiatives, events and progress.
- Development, management, and integration of the organization's Employee Resource Networks from a global perspective.
- Identify, build, and sustain community partnerships to support corporate diversity and inclusion projects/plans/initiatives and business strategies.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or related field required
- At least 8 years of Human Resources/DEI or related experience required with at least six years supporting corporate DEI initiatives.
- Proven, progressive experience and demonstrated effectiveness leading diversity, equity, and inclusion related initiatives and programs particularly in the South African context.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships and interface effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Experience with diversity, inclusion, and equity practices and programs, especially with employee resource/affinity groups or networks.
- Strong, operational, communication, interpersonal and presentation skills, be a team player, manage multiple projects and possess a strong knowledge of diversity best practices and trends and diversity metrics and analytics.
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a culturally diverse environment.
- Ability to influence with authority, self directed and proactive.
- Ability to handle confidential information and materials with discretion.
- Experience creating and managing project plans to support effective implementation of programs and initiatives.
- Experience coordinating events, schedules, budgets, and managing logistics related to DEI initiatives.
Benefits & Culture
Our global employee base is a diverse collection of innovators, dreamers, and doers working together to transform lives through higher education. We believe that every employee can advance our shared purpose, and that life at 2U should be fun and meaningful. If you’re excited by the opportunity to provide over 40 million learners and counting with access to world-class online higher education, then join us – and do work that makes a difference. #NoBackRow
We offer comprehensive benefits (unique per country) and excellent work/life balance.
Full-time, ZA benefits include:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery Health Medical Scheme
- 4% 2U contribution towards Discovery Life Pension Fund and Group Risk Benefit
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organization, study leave, sports leave and a company-wide festive season break
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to building and sustaining a culture of belonging, respect, and inclusion. We are proud of the steps we’ve taken to bring together an employee base that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by what makes us different, as well as by how we are alike.
2U is committed to providing reasonable accommodations during our recruitment process. If you need assistance or accommodations, please reach out to us at2U is committed to providing reasonable accommodations during our recruitment process. If you need assistance or accommodations, please reach out to us at: email@example.com.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
For more than a decade, 2U, Inc. has been the digital transformation partner of choice to great non-profit colleges and universities delivering high-quality online education at scale. As the parent company of edX, a leading global online learning platform, 2U provides over 45 million learners with access to world-class education in partnership with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporations. Our people and technology are powering more than 4,000 digital education offerings — from free courses to full degrees — and helping unlock human potential. To learn more: visit 2U.com.
edX is the education movement for restless learners and a leading global online learning platform from 2U, Inc. (Nasdaq: TWOU). Together with the majority of the world’s top-ranked universities and industry-leading companies, we bring our community of over 45 million learners world-class education to support them at every stage of their lives and careers, from free courses to full degrees. And we're not stopping there — we're relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location. Learn more at edX.org.
Learn more at https://2u.com/careers/
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.
2U is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. 2U requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.