At 2U, we are all in on purpose. We are motivated by our mission – to eliminate the back row in education – and connected by our shared passion to deliver world-class digital education at scale. As the parent company of edX, the world’s leading online learning platform, 2U powers more than 4,000 online higher education offerings – from free courses to full degrees. Together with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporate partners, we are helping to unlock human potential.
What We’re Looking For:
At 2U, we believe that the future of education is digital. Our Admissions team is crucial to the success of 2U and our university partners. We partner with the best universities in the world to create and manage skills-based training programs to close the gap between the skills of today’s workforce and the needs of tomorrow’s jobs.
As an Admissions Counselor, you will directly impact students’ ability to reach their highest potential using the world’s best digital education. Join our admissions team to make a difference!
We are looking for Admissions Counselors to recruit prospective students for one of our prestigious, highly-ranked training programmes. Recruiting qualified applicants for the top-tier programmes we partner with requires a consultative approach, an ability to meet challenges head-on, and a passion for changing lives through high quality education. In the role you will be the first point of contact for each and every student so a tenacious go getter attitude is a must. Due to the nature of this role, US working hours will be the standard (Shifts ranging from 6 PM - 12 PM Monday-Friday).
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
Student Recruitment Activity
- Manage and respond to incoming queries and work progressively to close the sale, through execution of the appropriate contact strategies.
- Contacting international prospects via live chat, email, telephone, and other virtual platforms to recruit them for the university. Must conduct a high quantity of contacts to inquiries to secure application and enrollment towards the programme(s).
- Determine appropriateness of candidates for admission based on admission requirements and career goal compatibility.
- Conducting follow-up activity with prospective students to ensure they are able to successfully complete the admissions and enrollment process.
- Develop and maintain a baseline knowledge of the evolving portfolio of products and University Partners, and promote programmes to prospective students.
- Schedule appointments for presentations and follow up post-presentation to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Qualifying prospective students for admission counselors to discuss admission requirements and career goal compatibility.
- Closely assist and mentor students through the admissions process.
- Being persistent with a passion for education.
- Represent the University Partner to the best of your ability, keeping in mind that you need to protect the integrity, brand and reputation of the institution through every engagement with prospective students.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required or 2 years experience in Consultative Sales (Edtech industry is preferred)
- 1+ year of phone and or written/live chat based experience in a metrics-driven environment.
- Strong sales and customer service background.
- Experience in higher education is advantageous.
- Verbal and written fluency in English.
- Excellent computer literacy.
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to establish rapport with the customer base.
- Ability to focus on specific quantifiable goals and deliver goals on a consistent basis.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask responsibilities at all times.
- Ability to utilize creative problem-solving skills to overcome any obstacles while guiding potential students through our course enrollment process.
- Strong closing and follow-up skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to contact students internationally.
- Ability to work with a diverse team in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Enthusiasm and the ability to thrive in an atmosphere of constant change.
- Excellent telephone etiquette.
- Passion and a 'can-do' attitude.
- 2U is a fast-paced, high-pressure environment and you will be expected to keep up (while getting the necessary level of support).
- You are expected to be proactive, self-directing and to speak up when you need additional support.
- Teamwork is critical to achieving success in this role. You will need to establish strong relationships with peers and leaders in presentation and production teams.
- We don’t micromanage. So, you have to diagnose problems and brainstorm solutions without any prompt and manage up appropriately.
- Things change all the time. 2U is a very dynamic environment which means that you will need the ability to adapt to change quickly.
- You will be required to work outside of normal South African working hours with shifts ranging from (6 PM - 9 AM), a reliable form of transport is essential.
- You may also be required to work on a Saturday, should it be business requirements or need.
- You will be required to have reliable internet connectivity e.g. Fibre or ADSL.
- 2U Will supply you with the following work tools: Laptop
Benefits & Culture
Our global employee base is a diverse collection of innovators, dreamers, and doers working together to transform lives through higher education. We believe that every employee can advance our shared purpose, and that life at 2U should be fun and meaningful. If you’re excited by the opportunity to provide over 40 million learners and counting with access to world-class online higher education, then join us – and do work that makes a difference. #NoBackRow
We offer comprehensive benefits (unique per country) and excellent work/life balance.
Full-time, ZA benefits include:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery Health Medical Scheme
- 4% 2U contribution towards Discovery Life Pension Fund and Group Risk Benefit
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organization, study leave, sports leave and a company-wide festive season break
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to building and sustaining a culture of belonging, respect, and inclusion. We are proud of the steps we’ve taken to bring together an employee base that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by what makes us different, as well as by how we are alike.
2U is committed to providing reasonable accommodations during our recruitment process. If you need assistance or accommodations, please reach out to us at2U is committed to providing reasonable accommodations during our recruitment process. If you need assistance or accommodations, please reach out to us at: email@example.com.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
For more than a decade, 2U, Inc. has been the digital transformation partner of choice to great non-profit colleges and universities delivering high-quality online education at scale. As the parent company of edX, a leading global online learning platform, 2U provides over 45 million learners with access to world-class education in partnership with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporations. Our people and technology are powering more than 4,000 digital education offerings — from free courses to full degrees — and helping unlock human potential. To learn more: visit 2U.com.
edX is the education movement for restless learners and a leading global online learning platform from 2U, Inc. (Nasdaq: TWOU). Together with the majority of the world’s top-ranked universities and industry-leading companies, we bring our community of over 45 million learners world-class education to support them at every stage of their lives and careers, from free courses to full degrees. And we're not stopping there — we're relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location. Learn more at edX.org.
Learn more at https://2u.com/careers/
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.
2U is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. 2U requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.