Sr Accountant, SEC Reporting & Equity Compensation
At 2U, we are all in on purpose. We are motivated by our mission – to eliminate the back row in education – and connected by our shared passion to deliver world-class digital education at scale. As the parent company of edX, the world’s leading online learning platform, 2U powers more than 4,000 online higher education offerings – from free courses to full degrees. Together with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporate partners, we are helping to unlock human potential.
What We’re Looking For:
We are seeking a highly motivated and dynamic individual to join and help grow our top-notch Accounting team. The ideal candidate must be able to balance delivering exceptional performance in a fun, energetic and entrepreneurial environment.
The Senior Accountant will report to the Sr. Director, External Reporting and will be primarily responsible for the preparation of financial schedules and disclosures that support the Company’s external financial reporting requirements. In addition, the Senior Accountant will be responsible for the administration and maintenance of the Company’s stock-based compensation plan and the employee stock purchase plan (“ESPP”), as well as ensuring that associated transactions are accounted for in accordance with U.S. GAAP.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Contribute to the preparation of SEC filings (Forms 10-K, 10-Q, Proxy and Form 4s), including drafting financial statements, footnotes and MD&A. Perform review of XBRL tagging.
- Prepare schedules that support the SEC filings.
- Prepare and manage the timeline and documentation requests related to quarterly and year-end closing activities and SEC reporting calendar, including coordination with external auditors, executives, finance, legal and investor relations departments.
- Perform research on accounting issues.
- Prepare equity accounting and analyses including stock-based compensation accounting, earnings per share and other equity account analyses, reconciliations, and journal entries.
- Perform administrative, operational, and reporting duties related to 2U’s Equity Incentive Plan and ESPP.
- Liaise with payroll and accounts payable to ensure timely reporting of equity earnings and tax withholdings.
- Serve as point of contact responsible for educating employee participants and responding to equity-related questions.
- Assist with other ad-hoc projects, as needed.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 3-5 years relevant work experience (preferably public accounting experience with Big 4) including in the preparation of SEC filings (10-Qs, 10-Ks, etc.).
- Strong technical research skills and accounting knowledge.
- Experience with Workiva software (wDesk) preferred.
- Experience with Morgan Stanley’s (E*TRADE) EquityEdge Online platform preferred
- Excellent analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Computer skills and experience using all MS Office applications; strong knowledge of Excel required.
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Self-starter with problem solving abilities.
- Ability to work independently and own project assignments through completion.
- Demonstrate strong organization skills and the capacity to multitask.
- Exhibit intuition and awareness to seek clarification as needed to deliver results.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Display enthusiasm and desire to work in a fast-paced, rapid growth environment.
- Ability to maintain high ethical standards of integrity, confidentiality and quality.
- Must possess and maintain the highest degree of security and confidentiality of information.
Benefits & Culture
Our global employee base is a diverse collection of innovators, dreamers, and doers working together to transform lives through higher education. We believe that every employee can advance our shared purpose, and that life at 2U should be fun and meaningful. If you’re excited by the opportunity to provide over 40 million learners and counting with access to world-class online higher education, then join us – and do work that makes a difference. #NoBackRow
We offer comprehensive benefits (unique per country) and excellent work/life balance.
Full-time, U.S.benefits include:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability, and 401(k) employer match
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Free snacks and drinks in-office
- Generous paid holidays and leave policies, including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break
The anticipated base salary range for this role is ($90,000-$100,000), with potential bonus eligibility. Salary offers are made based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, budget for the position and cost of labor in the market in which the candidate will be hired.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to building and sustaining a culture of belonging, respect, and inclusion. We are proud of the steps we’ve taken to bring together an employee base that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by what makes us different, as well as by how we are alike.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
For more than a decade, 2U, Inc. has been the digital transformation partner of choice to great non-profit colleges and universities delivering high-quality online education at scale. As the parent company of edX, a leading global online learning platform, 2U provides over 45 million learners with access to world-class education in partnership with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporations. Our people and technology are powering more than 4,000 digital education offerings — from free courses to full degrees — and helping unlock human potential. To learn more: visit 2U.com.
edX is the education movement for restless learners and a leading global online learning platform from 2U, Inc. (Nasdaq: TWOU). Together with the majority of the world’s top-ranked universities and industry-leading companies, we bring our community of over 45 million learners world-class education to support them at every stage of their lives and careers, from free courses to full degrees. And we're not stopping there — we're relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location. Learn more at edX.org.
Learn more at https://2u.com/careers/
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.